Monday, October 5, 2009

Part 3

JOESEF: 5…4…3…2…1…

DAVID: 1…2…3…

(Abruptly PAUL bolts upright screaming in pain. DAVID and JOESEF do not react.)

PAUL: Ow! That really hurt! (Pause as he looks around to get his bearings) how long was I out?

(He gets up and crosses back to the typewriter and sits.)

DAVID: 3 more.

(PAUL looks at DAVID confused.)

JOESEF: Seconds.

PAUL: Thank you Joesef.

DAVID: Yeah thank you Joesef.

PAUL: Don’t mock me.

DAVID: I wasn’t mocking you, I was mocking him.

PAUL But you said what I said but in a mocking tone.

DAVID: But it was to emphasize how dumb his input was.

PAUL: His input wasn’t dumb.

JOESEF: Yeah it wasn’t dumb.

DAVID: Yes it was.

PAUL: How was I dumb?

JOESEF (at almost the same time as PAUL): How was it dumb?

DAVID: You didn’t need to specify.

JOESEF: Specify what?

DAVID: The time measurement.

PAUL: Yes he did. How would I have known you didn’t mean minutes, or hours, or days, or
weeks, or years, or decades, or centuries, or millennia?

DAVID: You can’t be out for a millennia that’s not realistic.

PAUL: Yes it is. I was once.

DAVID: No you weren’t you were out three centuries at the most.

JOESEF: Less. Two and a half

DAVID (at almost the same time as JOESEF): Two and a half.

PAUL: And you specified then.

DAVID: Well yeah I did, it was two and a half centuries. How do you think I could tell you that in
seconds?

PAUL: You had all that time to think about it.

DAVID: You know I can’t think when some one is typing.

(PAUL looks down at the typewriter and notices for the first time that the paper is gone.)

PAUL: Why didn’t you tell me he was here?

DAVID and JOESEF: She.

PAUL: It was her?

JOESEF: Yup.

DAVID: Isn’t it usually?

PAUL: Some times it’s him.

DAVID Yeah but mostly it’s her so why would you automatically assume it was him?

PAUL: I don’t know.

DAVID: Are you sexist?

PAUL: No.

DAVID: Bet you are.

JOESEF: He can’t be sexist.

DAVID: Why not?

JOESEF: If he was sexist she wouldn’t she be here as often.

DAVID: Well he is suicidal.

JOESEF: Good point.

PAUL: Who told you that?

DAVID: He did.

JOESEF: She did.

PAUL: Well he’s lying.

(Silence. PAUL yawns.)

JOESEF: All ready?

PAUL: What?

JOESEF: You haven’t even read it.

(PAUL looks around the stage and finally finds the paper where MARY left it. He picks it up and reads.)

PAUL: Remember.

JEOSEF: That’s it?

DAVID: She typed more than that.

PAUL: That was the first word you have to wait. (Pause.) Remember. Flying fish do not fly in
the air. She was very pretty. Remember. Peanut stands are a store. She went to the club. Remember. Rubber bands have no guitar. She took the drink. Remember. Bowling balls don’t wear jock straps. She drank it. Remember. Glasses pour and see. She got dizzy. Remember. Ring pick it up, marry me. She went to bed. Remember. Bat, base, cave. She is he is she is he is she is he is. Remember time is never over but she ended.

(PAUL rips it up after he finishes reading it, and throws it toward JOESEF who collects it and starts taping it back together. PAUL puts a new paper in the typewriter and stares blankly at it.)

DAVID: I don’t get it.

JOESEF: I do.

DAVID: You do not. (JOESEF looks at him very seriously. PAUL yawns.) You do?

JOESEF: Yes.

3 comments:

  1. I like the hint of backstory. And Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like most of the things you write, I can't decide if it's creepy or sweet...but I'm definitely intrigued. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the "dumb" exchange is the thing I like least. It's similar to the "eff" bit, but less funny, and thus doesn't really work for me.

    On another note, I have a very vivid idea of how I would direct and design this, thus far. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

    ReplyDelete