Friday, October 2, 2009

Part 2

JOESEF: Tell me!

DAVID: Fine.

(Pause)

JOESEF: Well?

DAVID: I’m thinking

JOESEF: You don’t know why you snorted?

DAVID: No I know, I’m trying to remember.

JOESEF: You don’t remember?

DAVID: I remember why, but not really.

JOESEF: Huh?

DAVID: Just give me a second.

JOESEF: That makes no sense.

PAUL: Yeah!

JOESEF: Shut up!

(DAVID and PAUL just look at him. Pause)

DAVID: It was a curse word.

(PAUL and JOESEF look at him)

JOESEF: What?

DAVID: “Eff.”

JOESEF: “Eff” was a curse word?

DAVID: No-

JOESEF: You just said it was.

DAVID: Did you just interrupt me?

JOESEF: No.

DAVID: You didn’t?

JOESEF: Nope.

DAVID: Oh, Ok

PAUL: He did.

JOESEF: Did not!

PAUL: Don’t lie.

JOESEF: I’m not.

DAVID: You are.

JOESEF: How would you know?

DAVID: I heard you.

JOESEF: But you believed me.

PAUL: So you admit it?

DAVID: Yeah you admit it?

JOESEF: Fine, I interrupted you, I’m sorry.

DAVID: Thank you.

JOESEF: You’re welcome.

DAVID: It stands for a curse word.

JOESEF: Oh…what?

DAVID: “Eff”

JOESEF: What about it?

DAVID: It stands for a curse word.

JOESEF: Oh, yeah I know that.

DAVID: Then why did you ask?

JOESEF: I didn’t.

DAVID: What was that then?

JOESEF: What?

DAVID: The question.

JOESEF: What question?

DAVID You asked “what.”

JOESEF: Oh that.

DAVID: Yeah that…what was it?

JOESEF: I want to know what it stood for.

DAVIDL What what stood for?

JOESEF: “Eff.”

DAVID: I already told you. It stands for aa curse word.

JOESEF: Yeah, but what?

DAVID: What what?

JOESEF: What curse word?

DAVID: Oh! I don’t know.

JOESEF: You said you did.

DAVID: I did?

JOESEF: Yup.

DAVID: Did I?

PAUL: I think so.

DAVID: But you don’t know?

PAUL: Fine, I know so.

DAVID: Which?

PAUL: Which what?

DAVID: You think so or you know so?

PAUL: I know so.

DAVID: Because a minute ago you said you just thought.

PAUL: I had to decide.

DAVID: What’s to decide? I either did or I didn’t.

PAUL: I had to decide whether I remembered right.

DAVID: Well do you?

PAUL: Do I what?

DAVID: Remember.

PAUL: What?

DAVID: If I said it or not.

PAUL: I said I did.

DAVID: Just making sure.

(Pause. Paul yawns)

JOESEF: Well? (No one responds) What’s it stand for? (They look at him blankly) You know, “Eff.”

(Recognition dawns on DAVID’s face)

DAVID: I told you, I don’t know.

JOESEF: You said you did.

(DAVID looks at PAUL. PAUL nods)

DAVID: I meant I know what it stands for a curse word, but I don’t know which one.

JOESEF: You foret?

DAVID: Yes (pause) No (pause) I think I never knew.

JOESEF: Or knew and forgot.

DAVID: Yes.

JOESEF: Ok makes sense.

(PAUL yawns. Long pause, he yawns again. Pause)

PAUL: What time is it?

JOESEF: Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm… (VERY long)

DAVID: 3:00

PAUL: Again?

DAVID: Again.

PAUL: Ok.

(With out hesitation PAUL pulls out a gun and shoots himself in the head slumping onto the table the typewriter in on. DAVID and JOESEF don’t react. MARY enters, running.)

MARY: Did I miss it?

DAVID: Yes.

MARY: Oh darn. (Stomps foot like a child)

JOESEF: Why are you upset?

MARY: I missed it.

JOESEF: But you always miss it.

(MARY crosses to the typewriter)

MARY: I know, but it always sounds so exciting.

DAVID: It’s not really.

(MARY looks at the body awkwardly)MARY: Could you… (DAVID and JOESEF move over to PAUL and drag him down stage right) Thank you. (Se smiles and sits at the typewriter. DAVID and JOESEF move back to their spots as MARY starts typing. There is silence as MARY types. After a while she pulls the page out of the typewriter sets it next to the typewriter and get up to leave.) Ok bye.

(DAVID and JOESEF wave and then stare at PAUL.)

1 comment:

  1. So he offs himself at the same time every night searching for oblivion, but finds snide and forgetful companions instead.

    ReplyDelete